Tax expert, Irvine based Robert Borish, CPA, has released a report about how to file an extension for filing taxes. With the middle of April quickly approaching, everyone is working hard to make sure they do their taxes on time. However, it is easy to become swamped with work or other aspects of life, and as a result, there is always the risk of missing the tax deadline. Missing the tax deadline comes with its own troubles that most would rather not deal with penalties and fees.

Thankfully, there is something that can be done to prevent missing the deadline. By filing an extension for filing taxes, it is possible to get a little bit more time before penalties occur. Before getting into how to file a tax extension, it is important to note that people must file an extension before the tax deadline (April 18), for the request to be granted. Also, if money is owed to the IRS, this is still due on April 18. This extension only extends the time to file the return.

The first step is to make sure it is known whether a refund will be issued or if taxes are owed. This is just to make sure that it is known whether to pay/send a check when the extension request is filed.

The next step is to download Form 4868 (Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S Individual Income) and fill it out. The form only has a few simple lines to be filled out and shouldn’t take long at all.

Once the form is completely filled out, it can be mailed to the IRS and be postmarked before or on April 18. Here is a list of mailing addresses to send the form.

However, with filing online being increasingly popular, the IRS also has an option to file an extension online, without having to fill out a physical Form 4868. Also, many of the popular tax software programs will be able to send an extension for its users as well.

If everything has been done correctly (and the individual was prepared), this process of filing an extension should only take around 15 minutes and as long as the request has been sent in on time and is accepted, people have an extra six months to file their taxes.

The best option is to always pay and file taxes on time, but if people find themselves unable to file on time, this is a helpful alternative that can save people a lot of time, money and trouble.

Robert Borish CPA Inc.
6 Venture #120
Irvine, CA 92618
(949) 951-5002

Press release by San Luis Obispo SEO Access Publishing, 806 9th Street, #2D, Paso Robles, CA 93446 (805) 226-9890.